Knowing what countries to submit clinical trial results summaries to is the easy part. What becomes difficult is learning the intricacies and transparency requirements of every clinical trial registry globally, including the Chinese Clinical Trial Registry (ChiCTR). Here is an overview of this registry:
Registry name: Chinese Clinical Trial Registry (ChiCTR)
Year established: 2005
Points of interest:
- Clinical trials being conducted in mainland China and Taiwan must register in both Chinese and in English. The exception to this rule is in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, where clinical trials can be registered in English only.
- ChiCTR is a non-profit organization, and it is free to register clinical trials. However, supplementary registration tests are subject to data review and database maintenance fees.
- After the completion of an audit, registration numbers are available two weeks following from the date of submission.
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong Clinical Trial Registration Center and the Chinese Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine Acupuncture Registration Center are secondary institutions of the ChiCTR.
- As of January 2019, sponsors are approximately 79 percent compliant with pre-registration of clinical trials and approximately 21 percent compliant with supplement registration. Statistics by registration status can be found here: http://www.chictr.org/regstatusproj.aspx
- Registration procedures and content of the ChiCTR are fully compliant with the World Health Organization (WHO) International Clinical Trial Registration Platform (WHO ICTRP).
- A full clinical trial registration guide can be found on their website here: http://www.chictr.org/registry.aspx
Related transparency research/articles:
- Promoting standardization of clinical trial data management in China
- Transparency and sharing individual participant data of clinical trials: A philosophical proposition about the medical study ethics and implications for clinical trials
- Clinical Trial Registration: Looking Back and Moving Ahead
TrialAssure® Registry can automate the disclosure of clinical trial results for the Chinese Clinical Trial Registry (ChiCTR). For questions or a free demo, email email@example.com